1.08.2012

pacific ocean


"Doesn't it seem to you," asked Madame Bovary, "that the mind moves more freely in the presence of that boundless expanse, that the sight of it elevates the soul and gives rise to thoughts of the infinite and the ideal?" ~Gustave Flaubert

Earlier this week, I took a train to Oregon for a few days.  Seeing the coast was a bonus.  The ocean in windy, rainy weather is still just as beautiful as ever.  On the train ride home, I read an article in the New York Times titled The Joy of Quiet by Pico Iyer.  It was wonderful as well as thought provoking.  Cheers to January.

Song of the Day = Star Dust by Hoagy Carmichael

camera: polaroid mio

16 comments:

  1. Lovely shots- there's nothing like the beach in wild, inclement weather I think...and love the article, I'd forgotten how much I used to like Pico Iyer and his travel writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much beauty and quiet in those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sentence, lovely atmosphere and lovely song - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh... wish I could take a little trip that way. Seem beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely images, wonderful quote, and I too really liked that article. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I like Flaubert's Madame Bovary. And the quote.

    But for me, this is beautiful photo. Fantastically beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the sea is beautiful in every single season :)
    i just love the purple tones of these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read and enjoyed that very much too! Trying to make a point of disconnecting more lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm...I wish trains were a bigger part of my life. bet it was a beautiful ride.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely mood and the tones are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those images are simply beautiful! loving the color and the overall feeling! great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love love loooove these little postcards!!!!

    congrats and greetings from Madrid,
    elena

    ReplyDelete