11.14.2011

november thoughts

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.
~Emily Dickinson

Sometimes I wonder if poets from long ago had any inclination that their poems would be as valid and well-loved (perhaps even more in some cases) today as ever.  I'm thankful for writing and books.

Switching back over to Thanksgiving menu thoughts, it seems carrot cake has been on my mind.  Not just any ol' carrot cake, but precisely Rose's Carrot Cake recipe from the cookbook Breakfast, Lunch, & Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery.  It's honestly the best I've ever had or made.

This is a good feet tapping song.
Song of the Day = Origins by Tennis

camera: polaroid mio

12 comments:

  1. love this image.
    i bet the poets/writers/artists had NO idea the impact they would have on the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts, your photos, poems and music are always an inspiration to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you might said : little BIG pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ED. her words are eternal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that picture and Dickinson is one of the poets whom I always go back to. All this makes me quite nostalgic, all in a good way of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poetry, carrot cake, toe tapping...you are too good to us. This photo reminds me of my childhood neighborhood, specifically a corner that was part of our usual dog walk. I suppose this memory is neither here nor there for anyone but me, but thank you for bringing me back to those good days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is something to wonder on. I've been feeling like making a carrot cake lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful photo!
    i think any writer believed their work would be read and love throught time. as the saying goes 'once it's written, it's never forgotten'

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks rather like the Portland city library...? Hmmm...an interesting thought...did Miss Dickinson ponder where her works may go in years to come...it is somewhat heartening in this rapidly changing world to be able to read them and still feel as though one can experience or see what is described. perhaps, despite everything, there is hope that one can see and feel what was seen and felt so so long ago...

    ReplyDelete
  10. your posts are just so lovely. happy autumn to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous photograph!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. there is so much beauty here. thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete