4.14.2011

poem in your pocket day


























April is Poetry Month and today is National Poem in Your Pocket Day.  The idea behind it is to have a poem you love on paper and then carry it around to share with others during the day.  If you feel like sharing, I'd love to know:  What poem or poet do you enjoy? In my pocket is a classic...

Where the Sidewalk Ends

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.

Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.

In keeping with the theme of today, I also wanted to share a lovely book recently released titled She Walks in Beauty by Caroline Kennedy.  Over the years, Caroline has taken the time to bring several books of poetry loved by family members and herself.  A tradition and genuine gift to them is a poem given to another.  This book is an anthology full of poems fitting for different ages, moments, and times in life.  It is a beautiful collection.

Some wonderful poetry links:
~Poets.org
~Old Poetry
~Lunchbox Poems
~Poetry Foundation
~The Writer's Almanac

*A Quick Update:  Handing out a poem to people today has been so fun. The surprised smiles on their faces is the best.  Thank you for the poems you've shared here already!

camera: polaroid mio

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. This is a wonderful idea - a poet's day. I love the poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke. Especially the one:

    The Panther

    His gaze, going past those bars, has got so misted
    with tiredness, it can take in nothing more.
    He feels as though a thousand bars existed,
    and no more world beyond them than before.

    Those supply powerful paddings, turning there
    in tiniest of circles, well might be
    the dance of forces round a center where
    some mighty will stands paralyticly.

    Just now and then the pupils' noiseless shutter
    is lifted. - Then an image will indart,
    down through the limbs' intensive stillness flutter,
    and end its being in the heart.

    [Rainer Maria Rilke]

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem is as lovely as your photo Alexandria =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHEL SILVERSTEIN....reminds me of my childhood. great pick! i wonder if my mom still has that book of his i loved.

    pretty picture by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris just told me about this day, yesterday. Thank you for reminding me.

    Here is an old favorite of mine.

    Jilted
    by Sylvia Plath

    My thoughts are crabbed and sallow,
    My tears like vinegar,
    Or the bitter blinking yellow
    Of an acetic star.

    Tonight the caustic wind, love,
    Gossips late and soon,
    And I wear the wry-faced pucker of
    The sour lemon moon.

    While like an early summer plum,
    Puny, green, and tart,
    Droops upon its wizened stem
    My lean, unripened heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it was Poetry Month, but I think that Poem in your Pocket day is now my favorite day ever. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that is an old favorite of mine as well. i will have to post something tomorrow. 14 hours at work and i am shattered!

    lovely photo to go with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. daffodils and poems! What a lovely post. You know, I should read more poems. My husband used to write them and I'm afraid those and Shel's are the only I've ever really read. I think I just might read your book recommendation! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet idea. My favourite poem is 'Som dreng skar jeg skibe' written by Johannes V. Jensen , it's in Danish only, so you'll just have to believe me when I say that it's magic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly lovely, Alexandria. Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh-Oh-Oh! Shel Silverstein is one of my favorite poets. I cried when I heard he'd passed on. I so love "how-many-slams-in-an-old-screen-door." My daughter and I read his poems aloud to each other.

    Growing up, seems all the gray-heads did all summer long was holler, "Don't slam that screen door!" Just as it slammed shut. LOL! Oh, my. You have put a grin on this face. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's a really lovely poem. it makes me happy, thank you for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. alexandria, i'm so happy you blogged about this! there was a poem in my pocket yesterday; i even attended a reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I didn't know about poetry month. I just went to Elliot Bay and bought Letters To A Young Poet so I guess my timing is rather fitting! Have you read it? A friend told me it was the kind of thing I'd probably end up re-reading many times throughout life.

    Hope you enjoyed this beautiful day today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Shel Silverstein. Great photos to go along with the post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a neat idea - I like the visual one gets by 'a poem in your pocket'. My favourite poem is by Hone Tuwhare -
    Rain

    I can hear you
    making small holes
    in the silence
    rain

    If I were deaf
    the pores of my skin
    would open to you
    and shut

    And I
    should know you
    by the lick of you
    if I were blind

    the something
    special smell of you
    when the sun cakes
    the ground

    the steady
    drum-roll sound
    you make
    when the wind drops

    But if I
    should not hear
    smell or feel or see
    you

    you would still
    define me
    disperse me
    wash over me
    rain

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really lovely. I'm always truly inspired when I visit your blog; thank you for sharing the poetry links. I'm going to check them out now.


    Kim
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love shel silverstein.I still have some of his books. I've gotten out of the habit of reading poetry but I hope to do more of that soon.
    P.S. Handing out poems...that sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. a fav of mine too! lovely! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete