3.04.2011

reading

Here we are - despite the delays, the confusion, and the shadows en route - at last, or for the moment, where we always intended to be.
~Julia Glass

Lately, my reading has been focused on words that are compact, beautiful and in a smaller package by two authors.   I've had a love for years with short stories and essays.  They do magic for me without the guilt of not finishing...these I can always finish. 

The first pick is Colm Toibin's The Empty Family which has been hitting the mark perfectly.  His books are full of irresistable, gorgeous writing and scenerios that only Toibin can convey so so eloquently.  The second pick is M.F.K. Fisher's The Art of Eating, a solid volume of 5 books.  In the past, there has been some wonderful dabbling in reading her stories, but now I'm ready for each and every single one.  Savoring the delicious words of this brilliant lady is fulfilling.  To say the least, I'm enchanted with both books these days.


camera: pentax k1000

12 comments:

  1. I keep hearing about The Empty Family. Once I have a bit more time I will def pick it up...

    have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity of the telegraph pole and the lines that lead your eyes center and left.
    I'm not sure if you have read essays by Sloane Crossley - but hers are also a good read; "I Was Told There Would Be Cake" is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Empty Family looks great. I've read quite a bit of M.F.K. Fisher's work, but definitely not 5 volumes. I like the idea of full immersion in the words of M.F.K. Fisher. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great photo. I like it.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Petra: I hope you do and happy weekend!

    silvii tron: I've dipped into a few of Sloane's essays and they are hilarious! Thank you for the idea.

    Denise: It's a gem for sure and reading Fisher's work from the beginning to end is completely delightful.

    Li + Belle: Thank you and I hope your weekend is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They both sound like wonderful reads. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the book suggestions...and I just saw your listening to the new belle and sebastian album...so good...so so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture is so iconic, I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh these books are such a great suggestion, i have been really struggling with novels/memoirs, etc of late (no idea why, as i have always been a great finisher of the longest of books)... but alas, not lately! and i've resisted... the short story. now, i am all intrigued.

    and i instantly fell in love with your photo and this tune and have downloaded it for myself (the song that is!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful...
    I usually read MFK Fisher's The Art of Eating in pieces too, instead of all at once. Enviably beautiful writing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in an essay mood myself. Currently, I am reading some Mark Nepo and Audre Lourde. A strange combination but it works. I've read some M.K. Fisher. She's such a wonderful writer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christine: My pleasure!

    amanda jane: I honestly can't get enough of them...such a great band for sure.

    Marion: Oh thank you!

    kitchu: I understand about struggling sometimes with longer books. That's when I know it's time to switch it up. Sometimes I'll even stick with children's, cookbooks, or art books until I'm ready once again for a longer read. Thank you for your sweet words.

    Indie.Tea: It's truly some of the best I've laid eyes on. Agreed!

    keishua: Very very nice and nothing wrong with having a random selection. I'm often juggling many books at once too.

    ReplyDelete