2.19.2010

sweet friday

I literally blinked a few times when walking around the corner and seeing this tree. It's still a wonder to me with nature flowering so soon.

Looking over my bookshelves earlier this week, I came across a wonderful book titled About Alice by Calvin Trillin. Perhaps many of you know Calvin already as a journalist for The New Yorker as well as a novelist writing about travel and food experiences he had with his wife Alice. He even gives a "Come Hungry" walking tour each year in New York sharing some of his and Alice's favourite places visited on Sunday strolls. Since it's always fun to see photographs, these are two of the Trillin's that I love here and here.

About Alice is a genuinely beautiful tribute and reads like a long essay that I didn't want to end. Calvin portrays his late wife with a clearer picture for who and how she was. In his previous books, she is mostly known for her quirks and sensibility. This time he reveals a story of love and the honesty between them. She helped him greatly with his writing over the years and he manages to share insights that are tender and full of humour. No matter what stage of life you are in, this book will have something meaningful to give.

camera: polaroid spectra

9 comments:

  1. I love that book.Such elegant prose and a wonderful love tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About Alice...I will write this one down. Oh, and flowering trees. I cannot wait to see flowering trees again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine! It's stunning. Can't wait until the trees start blossom here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous shot!!! so beautiful

    i want to read this book - you're the second person that has mentioned it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy weekend. the book sounds wonderful and that photo, well, it's breathtaking.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband read this book and loved it. I haven't yet. I'm kind of afraid I'll be sobbing the entire time, knowing how much he loved her, knowing he lost her... Maybe I should just suck it up. I've read terribly sad and depressing works and am not sure why I'm such a little chicken with this particular book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all of your comments and I really look forward to seeing spring in your neck of the woods too!

    Denise: Sometimes I do the same with films that I know will make me cry. It's like I need to gear myself up and be ready. The one thing I can offer to you is that this book is still very uplifting and the words are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved About Alice.

    I loved Seattle's cherry trees even more. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete