10.25.2009

maurice's thoughts

You cannot write for children. They're much too complicated. You can only write books that are of interest to them.
~Maurice Sendak
I have been doodling with ink and watercolor on paper all my life. It's my way of stirring up my imagination to see what I find hidden in my head. I call the results dream pictures, fantasy sketches, and even brain-sharpening exercises.
~Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
The Wild Things by Dave Eggers
Where the Wild Things Are trailer directed by Spike Jonze

I don't know what to make of it, exactly, but I'm so for it...I am in love with it. If Spike and Dave do not do this movie, now, I would just as soon not see any version of it ever get made.
~Maurice Sendak

p.s. The film was wonderful!

8 comments:

  1. i agree with that. we think so differently when we get older. and any memories of our childhood are inevitably tinted with the experiences we have had since then. i cant wait to see this film :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Wild Things on the big screen. Maybe tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad to hear the film was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't wait to see it! great post. *

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, how right you are, it was so incredibly lovely! i was surprised with how the story went, but pleasantly suprised, however! those are very wonderful quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. marie: It's always a cozy feeling to return to books from our childhood and feel some of that magic all over again.

    denise: Oooh, I hope you made it!

    Anna: It was for sure!

    tifanie: Thank you and I loved your Polaroids you posted recently.

    jenna: I know what you mean indeed. I did take the time to re-read Sendak's book before seeing the film and I liked how they used the lines from the book often. I'm glad you liked the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how adorable.
    Just found your blog. Love your postcards.
    I have not seen the movie yet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amelia PS: Thank you and I enjoyed looking over your food blog. Your green bean bundles were wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete