9.23.2009

powell's books


I heart Powell's Books! This was my final visiting place in Portland before I walked to the train station to return to Seattle. There are so many reasons as to why I love this book spot that takes up an entire city block. Not only is it the largest independent book store, but it combines new and used books on the shelves and still has a cozy feel to spend hours in. I hope the photographs give you an idea of how amazing it is.

p.s. September 26th through October 3rd is Banned Books Week! What better way to celebrate than to read a book from the list Books Challenged and Banned in 2008-2009 in support of all books and the freedom to read anything.

8 comments:

  1. I love your pictures! I was just in Portland and stood by that pillar of books a good while waiting for it to open-so worth it. I bought Bunny Rabbit by Shel Silverstein, if you haven't read it I recommend you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay (deep breath + eye roll) The Catcher in the Rye was challenged?! That's just too much. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay powell's!! what a wonderful place that is. i'm excited for banned books week and so excited that you linked to the banned books of this past year. read on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this is one of the main reasons that I want to visit Portland......

    ReplyDelete
  5. banned books! Catcher in the Rye! very disturbing. all those concerned parents? To bad critical thinking isn't on the curriculum, that might be banned as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie: Awesome choice for the book you bought! Shel is the best! That's cool you were just there as well.

    denise: It's incredible how people come up with the titles and reasons to challenge a book. Crazy stuff, but I love how it's counter-balanced by those of us who keep on reading and know it's good stuff.

    Anna: I feel the same. I just finished a banned books week window display at the shop and I hope it gets people thinking and wanting to read one!

    Ida: Yay! I hope you do...and maybe Seattle!

    P.K.: hahaha I agree! Great point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The manager of this bookstore must really like BOOKS. I envy you have visited it. What kind of book do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly love all sorts of genres. I am pretty open to just about anything with books. I especially adore the children's section as well.

    ReplyDelete