4.22.2009

food and life

It is definitely another cloudy day here, but I have three books I'd like to recommend to brighten it up! The first I read last week by Ruth Reichl (editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine) called Not Becoming My Mother. Just like her other books, Ruth has a way of getting to the heart of things. She relays her mother's life (especially during the 1950's) with her childhood entwined and it is indeed a touching and genuine memoir.

The second popped into the book shop this morning titled Hungry Monkey by Matthew Amster-Burton (Seattle dad and food critic). I've only had a chance to read a few chapters, but I'm hooked already. By taking a new approach to introduce various foods to his daughter Iris, he shows the adventure food and parenting can be. There are also dozens of recipes as he shares his love of food and wonderful humor that will leave you with a big smile.
Finally, the third that I can't help but mention is The Art of Eating by M.F.K. Fisher who took food writing to a literary art. If you haven't read even simply a chapter of one of her books, you're missing out! I'm in love with her writing and can't believe it took me this long to get around to owning her books. Her passion for food and appreciation of life is contagious and stunning (a wee side note: this 50th anniversary edition is a deal as it contains her first 5 books!).

p.s. Happy Earth Day!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Earth Day to you too! :) My goodness I fall in love with every single one of your photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog trought my blog, and I was amaized my your pictures. I will turn it out in on of my faves!! tomorrow I will recomend you in my blog.
    Keep on the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics. I love this polaroids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna: I hope it was a sweet day for you! :)

    mariana: Estou feliz que você visitou o meu blog. Encontrei seu blog há algumas semanas, e eu adoro isso. Você captura as mais belas fotografias.

    daydate: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete